Thursday, April 05, 2007

Garlic Clove


I love seeing the paintings of the garlic clove by oil painters. Making it look almost heavenly - the transparent thin layers of the dried outer skin looking so beautifully transparent. For some reason I almost always prefer seeing the garlic rendered in oil than watercolor... maybe it's just the difference in experience of the artists. I thought I'd give it a try today. The first composition I attempted was of a head of garlic resting in a small saucer type bowl ... it was so pathetic that it's now in the trash, waiting to start a fire the wood stove later. Although I certainly wouldn't enter this into a contest, by any means, it's much better than the last attempt. Possibly it's just a matter of taking my time and "looking"... as with most art.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I prefer your garlic clove over the oil painters' ones, because it really gets at the fragile translucency of the herb. Your palette and your touch are just superb. Lovely work all in all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura ... While painting this I tried to do more "real looking" at the garlic clove. Usually I just want to slap the paint on and expect it to turn out great. Thinking about what to do next seems to help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nancy, this little clove of garlic is so nice. I really like how delicate it is and how the color is reflected in the ground around the cast shadow. I think this would be hard to paint.

    ReplyDelete