Tuesday, February 19, 2013

From the Shores


While walking along the shore the other day I almost passed by this beautiful arrangement.  A feather, a mussel shell and some stones all gathered on top of a small fragment of  bark on the beach.

Isn't the color combination lovely ... the blues, the green, the browns and whites? To think  they just happened to end up together on the shore.  What a beautiful combination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recently I've been thinking I need to focus on becoming a better artist. I have a few books I want to read and re-read, that inspire me to work more intently.  Familiar books like Robert Henri's The Art Spirit,  Composition by Arthur Wesley Dow and Oil Painting Techniques and Materials by Harold Speed.  

I find right now there is a lot of time that I spend very discouraged with my work.  I want to focus on one aspect of painting until I feel more comfortable in my work and that I'm growing as an artist.    

So, if I'm not around as much, you'll understand. 
Meanwhile, I will still post my regular Art of a Sketchbook - Fridays and  as I start feeling more skilled with the things I'll be learning I'll share this also.

I'm excited and looking forward to the work this will require.  Wish me luck.


8 comments:

  1. I can't wait till the ice on the shore melts here so I can see what the water gods have left us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Julienne, so glad we haven't had ice. Walking along the shoreline is one of my all time favorite things to do. Nature is always blessing me with some treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck...I look forward to seeing your return!!! In the meantime I will enjoy visiting your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maria.
    I'm excited to do more study, focusing on the fundamentals. I seem to rush through my paintings without focusing on certain things. I'm anxious to
    work on my brush strokes as well as compositions, drawing, values etc. Just a brush up sort of. Refreshing my tired ol' memory. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy! My granddaughter and I are quite certain such arrangements are magical gifts left behind (by fairies?) only for those with eyes to see. And Robert Genn says anytime he is feeling discouraged or blocked he revels in the joy of knowing it is like any ebb and tide because a wonderful new shift in perception is right around the corner. So here's to happy new discoveries!
    faye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, today Carol Marine posted a free ArtByte tutorial that is well worth taking time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Faye. I can't tell you how much I love these types of finds in nature. I just know they are really a gift for 'me'. I hope Robert is correct. Now, at this time I really feel the need to learn, more seriously than before anyway. New discoveries ... its a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sally. I knew she had a new art byte out but hadn't looked at it. I'll go right now and read it.

    ReplyDelete