Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Art of a Sketchbook


I think I've mentioned that I try to sketch something each morning as soon as I sit down with my cup of coffee.  Some times I have something in mind before I sit down, other times I just look around my desk until I find something I might want to sketch.  

Last Monday morning when I was ready to sketch I saw the only holiday decoration I took to set upon my table at the Saturday Holiday Bazaar.  A small unadorned fake tree.

I love the this small plain tree sitting in a beautiful sophisticated gold leaf pot.  It's a small statement ...  the top of the unadorned tree to the bottom of the lovely gold pot is only 14" high.  Small yet a touch of sophistication.    

The juxtaposition speaks to me.  Plain and lovely.  I think it made a lovely sketch.


Small Christmas Tree in Gold Pot, Barnes and Nobel Sketchbook, © 2012, Nancy Van Blaricom



Close up -Small Christmas Tree in Gold Pot, Barnes and Nobel Sketchbook, © 2012, Nancy Van Blaricom

3 comments:

  1. It is a lovely little sketch. I like the simplicity and the randomness of your selections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely sketch, Nancy. There is a simple elegance about it... very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplest things quite often make the most striking drawings. Lovely choice.

    ReplyDelete