Monday, January 27, 2014

Cloud Study #7 & Gesso-ing watercolor paper


~ Cloud Study #7~
4" x 6", oil on Gessoed watercolor paper 5 1/2" x 7 1/4"

………
On another note …

Awhile back, Michael Chesley Johnson had a blog post about preparing his panels.  Cleaning any oil off of the panels first, then a layer of PVA size, 2 layers of gesso, then a thin layer of Acrylic Matte Medium to help the gesso from being quite so absorbent.  

Thats one thing I don't like about the gessoed paper to paint on.  Its way too absorbent to my liking, and since I happened to have a jar of Matte Medium I couldn't wait to give it a try on top of my already gessoed watercolor paper.  Its perfect!  I love the way my brush handles on the paper now.

If gesso on paper is too absorbent for you also, you might enjoy giving this method a try.



3 comments:

  1. I haven't painted on paper yet...thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information!
    I did a workshop with him once.
    Very gentle, kind teacher.

    Love the colors in this one today, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete