Friday, June 08, 2012

The Art of a Sketchbook

  Sketching tools ...


This week I thought I'd share with you some of the tools I use for sketching in my sketchbooks:


Sketches With Watercolor, 9" x 6", watercolor & pen, © 2012, Nancy Van Blaricom

The cute little bear was first drawn in pencil then watercolored, then outlined in pen.  This particular sketchbook allows watercolor in it without getting all wrinkled.  Aquabee Super Deluxe Sketchbook

Sketches With Lamy Safari Pen and Noodler's Ink, 9" x 6", © 2012, Nancy Van Blaricom

This was from the same sketchbook.  Its an indian Raven Mask on a stand and I sketched it using my Lamy Safari Pen and Noodlers Ink.  It makes wonderful thin lines with this fine tip.

 Sketches With Pencil, 9" x 6", © 2012, Nancy Van Blaricom

The above pencil drawing was a preliminary drawing for a watercolor I was going to paint but never got around to it - yet.  I mostly use a retractable lead pencil, only because I never have to worry about sharpening it, but upon occasion I'll use any pencil I have laying around.

 Sketches in Pilot Pen, 9" x 6", © 2012, Nancy Van Blaricom

On this sketch I did on 9/11 I used my Bic Pilot pen P-500 Extra Fine.  When moistened it leaves a nice smear that can be used for shading.

2 comments:

  1. Still loving this series about your sketchbooks. it has so inspired me I brought my sketchbook to a meeting tonight and sketched the people around me. Some good, some not but all fun! I haven't ventured into color in my sketchbooks yet...but that is coming! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I always enjoy seeing your work. You are so inspiring! I had never heard of the items you mentioned -- the Lamy Safari pen, with Noodlers Ink, or the Aquabee Super Deluxe Sketchbook. They are now on the list for my next trip. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete