Friday, February 08, 2008

#11 & 12 1-hour paintings

I started the shell painting, #11 of my 1-hour painting's, using a #11 1-hour painting
shadow box made out of an ordinary cardboad box and used a little desk lamp to shine onto my sea shell. My thought was that this will help show 1/2 of it in light and half in shadow. It may have done just that but as I started painting I once again forgot the steps I promised myself I would take with this painting. #1 draw the shell onto my canvas. #2 Fill in the lightest lights, #3 fill in the darkest darks, #4 establish the major shadows ... Oops, forgot this step! I just kept on painting and couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning out as I expected. I forgot to block in my major shadow shapes.
#12 1-hour painting


On #12, although it may not look like much to anyone else, it is a success to me. All I really have been wanting to do with these 1-hour painting is to make sure and BLOCK in the major shapes. Today I think I finally did that. It was a struggle the whole way. I had to remind myself with each brush stroke that all I had to do was block it in ... no added values or colors, just block it in. Success finally came. I blocked everything in. I can't say it was easy, it wasn't. I took me 50 minutes to achieve this. But I did it!

2 comments:

  1. Wow..these are great.
    You are so wonderfully prolific.

    I'm glad I stopped by again!

    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victoria... great probably isn't the best discription for them, but I'm having a great time exploring oils for now. I'm beginning to think as much fun as I'm having, it's time for me to get back and do some watercolors for a day or so ... Now I have two mediums I enjoy. Yippee.

    ReplyDelete