Sunday, February 19, 2012

Summer Heat and Dry Grasses



Summer Dry Grasses © 8" x 6" ~ oil
Gessoed primed canvas panel

Last summer, on our way to Murphys California for a workshop with Kathleen Dunphy, we encountered a lot of country that the grasses were parched by the sun and you'd feel like you were in an oven.  Once in awhile you'd find a gentle wind but more often than not there wasn't even a flutter of a breeze.

I used one, of many, of my photos as reference for this painting and it brought back a lot of memories of just how hot and dry it was.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely! I like the touches of blues and violets. Nice composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely painting, Nancy. Great job on on creating the planes here, and beautiful warm tones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors you used. I can almost feel the dry heat! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of color and contrast. When I used to go see my sister in California during the summer it was always dry and brown. Seeing the purple in your shadows gives the piece life for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, Nancy, we can feel the heat wave, a striking atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely colors---it does indeed feel warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Celeste, Sylviane, Toni, , Linda P, Maria and Linda N. I think my photo shows up a little brighter and saturated with color than it really is . I should have tried tweaking it more in Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot like an oven… That sure is hot! It's fun to beat that summer heat. I usually eat some ice cream with my family, especially during the day, when we feel almost the same way: like we were inside an oven! LOL! That painting is so nice. It's worth putting up as display.

    ReplyDelete