Thursday, July 30, 2009

What's the hardest subject to paint?

toddler portrait - Nancy Van Blaricom

Toddler - watercolor, 8"x 6"

After finishing the dog commission I posted last week, I think, by far, that a portrait has to be the most difficult subject for me to paint. Because we have met this person or studied the likeness we strive to make sure they are recognized as that person. The features need to be recognized by friends and loved ones. The portrait needs to be personal. And that's why I think they are the most difficult subject for me to paint. But, when I see work done by talented artists such as portrait and figure artist Peggy Habets they make it look so easy.

This painting is of an adodrable grandaughter of a woman I worked with, one of my first portraits done a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment