Friday, October 19, 2007

Tuesday the 9th ...our bad weather Plein Air day

Sketch of Allen by Nancy Van Blaricom
Sketch of Allen
I can never get my pencil sketches to look their best when I scan them .... but, doing the best I can by tweaking them in a photo program, this is what I was able to come up with. It turned out grayer than the paper really was and the small amount of color I used doesn't show, but I was able to keep most of the pencil line. This sketch was from the last Plein Air meeting I went to. When the weather isn't conducive to going out and painting we will spend the time to critique work that each of us bring, offering suggestion's, praise, etc. Some times if there aren't many of us we will paint after our critique ... working on something we may have started at another time. I had nothing that I was working on that I could bring so I chose to use a 9"x 6" sketch book and sketched a fellow artist. Fellow artist, Allen, was finishing up a painting he had propped up on an easel. He thought it was a pretty good likeness, so that was good enough for me.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely sketch Nancy! I don't know what Allen looks like, but I would recognize him as an artist anyday. I've been neglecting my own sketch book, something I should remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice sketch, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cynthia. I was just reading a couple of books on sketching/journaling. I do not keep up with sketching as I would like to. Maybe reading about it will help motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joe. I find sketching can be its own reward. I wish I would have used a pen for this one. Pencil seems to lose it's brightness in a sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy!! I really love this sketch -- it has such a painterly feel even done in pencil! I so agree about scanning pencil -- so very difficult to capture the subtle nuiances that you can see in real life -- despite all that -- it's a terrific sketch! And yes, journaling -- it does take a bit of effort -- but oh my, going back to reread your own words -- well, well worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lin, thanks for the kind words. You are a great example. You use your sketch books the way I would like to ........ OFTEN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sketch Nancy...yes, pencil just doesn't scan (or photograph) well, except maybe if you use very soft graphite, that ends up dvery dar, which is nice. the only problem there is that tend to smear, so you have to use fixative and that also changes the colour of the graphite...
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right, Ronell, about the smearing. Even with a #2 graphite pencil, it smears. Pen would be best ... but thats frightening, even if I don't erase my pencil lines... I know I can if I want to *wink*.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this sketch :)

    ReplyDelete