Thursday, April 23, 2015

:: Tree Study ::

Do you love evergreen trees as much as I do?

One thing I love about living in the Pacific Northwest is our abundance of trees.  I think I always took them for granted until I traveled to where there were very few.  Now I realize how fortunate I am to be surrounded by all this green.

I grabbed a canvas board from my stack of previously used and ready to be recycled canvases and decided to look more closely to these wonderful fir trees. Below a small study of the tippy top (not a technical term) of a local fir tree.

Fir Study © Nancy Van Blaricom
Fir Study, 8" x 6" oil on canvas panel, © Nancy Van Blaricom 
A few facts:
  • With Washington's temperate climate, abundant precipitation, and fertile soils, Washington has some of the most productive forests in the world.
  • Douglas fir is the worlds best timber producers and yields more timber than any other tree in North America.
  • Forestry is a long term business, taking as much as 40 to 60 years to complete a harves and replanting, or forest management cycle.
  • Douglas fir is the most important lumber tree in the U.S., also used for plywood, Christmas trees, paper and paper products.

No comments:

Post a Comment