Monday, November 17, 2014

~ Book Review ~


Recently I downloaded The Art Forger on my Kindle to read on our travels. I normally prefer a good ol' paper book to hold in my hands but the Kindle served both an internet issue and being able to pack more than one book for the trip.



The book (novel) is based on a real art heist where a $500 million dollar worth of art was stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston in 1990.

The main character, Claire Roth, is a professional artist who makes a living painting reproductions of famous paintings.  Very soon into the book Claire is asked by an art dealer to make a forgery of one of the Edgar Degas paintings that was stolen from the Gardner Museum. Claire knows this is not right, but, she is offered as part payment her own art show which is something she has longed for so decides to forge the painting.

I enjoyed the book mostly because it shares artistic details which, for me, made it an interesting read.  Also it's a bit of a mystery as well as a love story.  You also read about Isabella Stewart Gardner and her numerous artist friends of the 1800's.

If you haven't read this book yet and you enjoy reading novels about art you might think of picking this one up.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing!!
    Sounds like a very good read and with winter settling in, that's important!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading novels about art ... makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete