Saturday, December 29, 2012

I'm up for the challenge ...


I am up for the challenge ....  Leslie Saeta's  '30 paintings in 30 days' challenge that is.  Leslie says  "I am starting a 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge on January 2nd. I think this is a great way to kick off the New Year and I invite you all to join me. It's very simple and easy ... all you need to do is paint 30 paintings in 30 days."  

I've often admired those many artists who have become 'daily painters' and the commitment it requires. Its a great way to get a lot of painting done and become a more skilled painter ...  and today after much thought I've decided to give her challenge a try.   

Back in June I started this painting and after the block-in was doubtful of how it would turn out and put it on a shelf.  Today while thinking about the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge I decided to try and finish the painting.  
Mail Call, 8" x 10" oil on panel, © Nancy Van Blaricom

The reference photo for this painting was taken a few years ago when we were in Canada and a float plane flew into the small port to deliver mail.  A familiar sight in some remote areas.


Mail Call, 8" x 10" oil on panel, © Nancy Van Blaricom

I'm very happy with this one.  I think I captured the sun glistening on the water and also the look of the plane.  Calling this painting a success I'm feeling more confident in my commitment to 30 paintings in 30 days.  Wish me luck and check in often to see how my challenge is going.

7 comments:

  1. A very good painting indeed. 30 more to come, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful painting !!

    I'm planning to join the challenge. It's good timing as I've just gotten my "clean" art space ready for use after allowing it to clutter up until it became hostile territory! 30 days of painting/making art will assuage much art guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Patrice ... hope you are not as nervous as I am about this challenge. Heres wishing you good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece Nancy, and so familiar in small places in northern Canada.

    I'm sure you'll have no problem doing 30 in 30. You won't be happy with all of them most like, but you will learn so much while doing them.

    I did consider taking up the challenge, but just don't have enough time to devote to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gem this little painting is! I'll be checking in to watch your painting a day adventure. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it very much. A complicated painting, no less.
    I, too signed on for the Leslie Saeta challenge so here we go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful painting, Nancy.I had to zoom onnthe picture to be sure it was an oil. This landscape is familiar fo me, in Canada, and lovely.
    Good luck for your challenge, i am sure you'll succeed.
    I can do it, i'll be out for a fornight fromthe 14th.
    And Happy New Year, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete