Friday, February 06, 2009

Contour Sketch - from an older photograph

contour drawing with photograph

I decided, still reading from Charles Reid's book "Pulling Your Painting's Together", to attempt his first assignment in the book. He suggests we find an older photograph with diffused light ... (I've tweaked this photo in Photoshop so you could see it) and start drawing outside shapes. Then also try drawing only the inside shapes I see. After my attempts, I can't say it looks like the photo, but it is "expressive". He suggests that you try doing the same drawing numerous times. I think that I need to pay attention when I attempt something I've read in a book. I forge ahead and do not read it thoroughly. I was suppose to, in the second assignment, avoid drawing outside contours. Just keep my pen on the paper as much as possible and concentrate on the shape. Show small details in some places (where you want people to look) and leave them out in others. Seems it was all or nothing with me on this one ... *wink.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting exercise ... and geared toward loosening up .. something I could use too -- how do you turn off your 'it's wrong' mind???!! sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an excellent exercise, Nancy, and a great reminder that we all need to sketch more. Great practice and great post,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete