Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sandpiper on a Log

Sandpiper on Log - Nancy Van Blaricom Sandpiper on Log
5" x 5" original watercolor

Today I finished this small watercolor painting of a sandpiper. Painted on 140 lb. Arches cold press paper using my usual limited palette of artists grade watercolor pigments.

When I tried to identify this Sandpiper in my bird book I found so many varieties of Sandpipers all looking similar that I am going to take an uneducated guess that this is a Western Sandpiper because of the bill length and shape. If these birds are standing still they are so well camouflaged, blending in with the sandy pebbles on the beach, that you can easily miss seeing them unless they are scurrying along the waters edge. Their little legs moving as fast as they can carry them.

I love walking on the beach here in South Puget Sound where I can usually see 4-5 different birds at any given time. But, it seems that I constantly forget my camera or decide not to carry it with me because it's too bulky. It's not that its particularly large, but, still I can't just put it in my pocket and be off for my walk. So this week I decided to purchase a new camera that I will be able to carry with me at all times. Its 3.8" wide x 2.3" high x 0.8" deep. I'm thinking I'll be able to capture some great shots of all the sights I am blessed to have around me each day.

5 comments:

  1. SO PRETTY!! THE LARGE EXPANSE OF WATER REALLY GIVES THIS SIZE AND PERSPECTIVE! GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sandpipers - but they move way too fast for me to ever draw one! Very nice work, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lin and Casey. It was a fun painting to do. I'm looking forward to painting a series of shore birds soon ... this is #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, Nancy!

    Speaking of books, your watercolors would look fantastic bound together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birds are so amazing. You have captured it well. Here on our Lake Erie shore the area where the sandpiper go is closed off to visitors because of the breeding season.

    ReplyDelete